Sunday, March 1, 2015

Scouting the 2015 Draft: Cole McKay

Cole McKay is a classic Texas HS power RHP who I don't understand why he is not ranked higher.  He stands 6'5", 225 lbs with a FB that goes 93-95 MPH.  He has a classic power delivery from a 3/4 arm slot.  The FB has sink and run.  On video, I thought I could see some of that "second stage" that Kruk talks about.  The curve is 11-5 and has late bite making it a put-away pitch.  The change up has "big fading action" according to the PG scouting report.  PG also said he "pounded zone with all 3 pitches."  I mean, what's not to like here?  For some reason, BA has him at #43 in their early 2015 draft rankings and Kiley McDaniel of Fangraphs has him in the "others to watch" section which he says represents 3'rd and 4'th round talent.  Personally, he's no worse than supplemental first round to my eye.    LSU commit, so could be a bit of a challenge to sign.  Wasn't the the Giants last supplemental first round pick Kyle Crick?  McKay would perfectly fit the precedent!

So, we now have a "big 4" of HS RHP's I really like a lot:  Nikorak, Burrows, Everett and now McKay.  I will be happy to see any of those 4 names on the Giants 2015 draft list in either the first or supplemental rounds and it goes without saying any of the later rounds, although they may be tough to sign beyond the supplemental first.

3 comments:

  1. Another arm that's not getting near the love he should be. I mocked McKay in the 2nd round, but also said it was probably too low for his talent level.

    Two other prep arms I would encourage you to check out that have stood out to me are Austin Smith and Joe DeMers. DeMers is a little shorter, but still built very much like Crick. Smith is the arm I really like. I think you would like his profile too. Maybe you already profiled Smith, but I don't think so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the battle of Texas arms, I think I like Burrows more than McKay, but both are impressive. Burrows is way up there on the wish list. But if you're looking at life on the pitch - that Ashe Russell character might have the best stuff of all of them. It's most likely too much to dream on, but if Russell or Justin Hooper somehow fall just a bit...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems like a strong and deep draft for HS pitchers. In general, I like what I've seen of the HS hurlers more than the college guys who all seem to be either undersized or high effort for face questionable competition.

      Delete